Wednesday 30 July 2014

Polly PICC line and the dreaded leg splints!

Yesterday was a day that brought some answers, although not particularly the ones I wanted to hear. 

Because of my Cortisol levels not being what they should, I am going to have to go on steroids for six weeks as a starter, then check my levels again and go from there. This is a big deal for me, steroids come with side affects and some of them can be pretty nasty. 

This meant I would need an IV line for six weeks so the original central line idea (that was planned for other medication until surgery) wasn't ideal as that lasts about two weeks. 

So, meet 'Polly' the PICC line! 


At the moment it is all bandaged up. But, a PICC line is a long, thin, flexible tube known as a catheter. It was put into one of the large veins of my right arm near the bend of my elbow. It was then threaded into my vein until the tip sat in a large vein just above my heart. I am able to go home with my PICC line when I am ready and it can be left in for a number of months. Much easier than all this prodding and poking  for cannulas every day! 

(Picture taken from Macmillan website) 

It took a bit longer than expected because it didn't quite go where we expected it it but it was soon rectified. 

The second new addition of the day where these....


Which are NOT comfortable and Infact quite painful but necessary. What these ridiculous moon bloods are for it to corrected the alignment of my feet, something called 'foot drop'. Foot drop is a muscular weakness or paralysis that makes it difficult to lift the front part of your foot and toes. 

Last night wasn't a very good night. The hectic say caused a very fed Chloe. But, I  bounced back like  always do! 

Thanks everyone! 

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment